How The Land You Purchase Can Impact Your Custom Home Build
When building a custom home, there are many factors to consider, from the materials you use to the design of the home. One factor that is often overlooked is the land you purchase for your build. The land you purchase can have a huge impact on your custom home build, as it has an effect on everything from access to utilities to zoning regulations.
Fortunately, Conrado Home Builders is here to help. We have experience with real estate and can help overcome the challenges most properties create. Here are some of the important factors to consider when looking at property you want to build on.
Location, Location, Location
The location of your land will determine things like the how much sunshine you get each day, the type of soil, the amount of rainfall, and more. All these factors can affect the livability of your new home.
Conrado Home Builders has 35 years of experience in building custom homes in all types of locations, so we can guide you what to look for in a piece of property. We can help guide your search to find the perfect property to suit your needs, and we’ll work with you to get the most out of your build.
If you’re ready to start your custom home build, contact Conrado Home Builders. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have and get started on making your dream home a reality.
The Importance of Zoning
Zoning is a critical component of the land development process. It helps to ensure that land is used in an appropriate way and protects property values. Zoning also helps to protect public health and safety by regulating things like noise, traffic, and pollution.
When you’re looking to purchase land for your custom home build, it’s important to be aware of the zoning regulations in the area. You’ll want to make sure that the land you purchase is zoned for the type of home you want to build; otherwise, you may run into problems when it comes time to get the design of your home approved.
Property Location Can Affect Many Aspects of a Custom Home Build
One of the first things to consider when you purchase land for your custom home is the location of the property. This can have a big impact on the availability of utilities, like water, sewer, and electricity.
It can also alter how we bring materials to the site. If your home is in a challenging spot, for example, it can make bringing any large items to the worksite into a bigger challenge.
Slope of the Land
When you purchase land for your custom home build, the slope of the land can have a big impact on your home design and build. If your land is sloped, you will need to factor this into your home design. A sloped lot can present some challenges, but with the help of an experienced custom home builder
like Conrado Home Builders, we can help you overcome these challenges and build the home of your dreams.
If your land is sloped, there are a few things to consider:
- How steep is the slope?
- What is the orientation of the slope? (North-facing, south-facing, etc.)
- What is the shape of the slope? (Is it uniform, or does it have multiple levels?)
- What type of soil is on the property? (Clay, sand, loam, etc.)
- Are there any trees or other obstacles on the slope that will need to be considered?
- Will soil need to be added to the build site to level it off, or taken from the build site for aspects like the basement?
Trees and Vegetation
When you’re in the market for property on which to build your new home
on, it’s important to consider more than just the location and slope of the property. The type of vegetation on the land can also have a big impact on your custom home build.
For example, if the property is heavily wooded, you’ll need to consider the tree regulations of the City/town. Will they allow you to remove trees, or must you build around them? This could add a significant amount of time to your approval process.
On the other hand, if the land is mostly open with just a few trees scattered about, that will make site prep much easier. You may also have more flexibility when it comes to situating your home on the property since there won’t be as many obstacles to work around.
However, if you have few trees on the property, you may need to consider adding trees and other types of vegetation into the design of your custom home. Not only does this addition provide shade, but it also provides beauty, stability to the soil itself, fresh air, and reduces erosion from storm runoff.
Builders Can Help with Most Property Problems
In order to build your dream home, you need to purchase property that is suitable for your needs. However, sometimes the perfect property can come with problems. That’s where Conrado Home Builders comes in! We are experienced builders who can help you navigate through some of the most common property problems:
- Zoning issues: Zoning limitations can disrupt the design of your custom home. We can work with you, your architect, and the city to work past some of these issues so that you can move forward with your design.
- Existing structures: The Bay Area has very few unbuilt lots open with nothing on them, so buying a property with an older structure that requires removal is common. We can help dismantle and salvage, for tax credits, the old structure as part of the process of building your new custom home.
- Setbacks: All properties have minimum setback requirements from the property line in order to ensure safety and prevent nuisances like noise or light pollution. We can help you determine if your desired home design complies with setback regulations.
- Topography: The shape and contour of the land can impact your construction costs and home design. We can work with you and your architect to create a home that takes advantage of the natural landscape so you can take advantage of the views that this area has to offer.
If you’re thinking about building a custom home, don’t let property problems deter you! Conrado Home Builders has the experience and expertise to help you overcome these obstacles. But consult with us before you buy your property. It just may save you a lot of money!
Let Conrado Home Builders Help Build Your Custom Home on Your Dream Property
If you’re looking to build a custom home, the land you purchase can have a big impact on the overall timeline and process. That’s why it’s important to work with an experienced builder like Conrado Home Builders who can help guide you through the process so you can find the perfect property for your dream home.
Conrado Home Builders has years of experience helping homeowners build their custom homes on all shapes and sizes of property. We can advise you on any lot you have in mind. Contact Conrado Home Builders today, and let’s talk about the property you have in mind.